The rhinoplasty is the surgical procedure that aims to reshape the nose’s shape to give an aesthetic appearance that provided the facial features, either increasing or decreasing the size and varying the morphology of the bridge. On the other hand, rhinoplasty is a type of surgery that tries to correct respiratory problems (functional aesthetic rhinoplasty) and congenital defects and consequences of accidents.
Among the factors that we could designate as favorable, to explain the success and the high level of acceptance of the results by the patients, we highlight the following:
- The operation does not leave a visible scar when performed endonasal (closed rhinoplasty).
- The results are permanent and improve over time.
- It is performed mostly in young people in whom surgical trauma, which is short and mild, is practically unnoticed by others, and the physiognomic change is easily accepted.
- It affects the most prominent organ of the face, whose shape is essential to maintain the harmony of the whole and on which it depends to a large extent on whether a face is beautiful, less beautiful, or vulgar.
- It influences more than any other aesthetic operation in favorable changes in the patient’s personality.
- Technical deficiencies: aesthetic or functional.
An alteration of 1-2 mm. that anywhere else would go unnoticed in this surgery may be the gulf between success and failure. In Rhinoplasty, good results are not accepted; they must be brilliant.
- Lack of information and communication between surgeon and patient.
The need for extensive and free communication before the intervention in which the patient presents his ideas, wishes, and expectations from the intervention.
- Family or friends influences
The unfavorable opinion of family or friends who, with their insistence on minimal or non-existent defects, come to influence the patient in such a way that he, in principle, satisfied with the result, is convinced otherwise. This is frequent when the intervention is carried out against the opinion of the family sector.
- Psychological reasons
A psychologically unstable patient, with a certain pathological personality or psychiatric problem, may never be satisfied no matter how good the aesthetic result.
The rhinoplasty intervention was almost always performed under general anesthesia with a previous preoperative study and a one or two-day hospital stay.
After protocol and informed consent, it is about correcting the back, the tip, the length, and width, as well as the functional part, the septum, because the nose, in addition to being beautiful, has to be functionally effective.
It is finished with an endonasal tamponade and a plaster or plastic material splint.